Tuesday, October 8, 2013

New Beginings




When I first moved Grace to Sarah's I offered her up for the lesson program. I figured Grace could help earn her keep and I could have a day or two a week that I didn't ride her. Grace taught her first lesson this past Saturday. I knew that Grace would be good on the lunge line - it is a routine she's had down since she was 3 years old. What I didn't know was how she would react to being ridden by children. Grace was an absolute super star, the little girl that rode her is an experienced rider with very good balance. She packed the little girl around with her head down the entire time like she was carrying precious cargo. When I heard Holly the instructor mention the canter I stopped what I was doing and immediately tensed knowing that Grace has a tendency to act out in the canter departure and they were going to the left which is her difficult lead. Much to my surprise Grace stepped up into the most beautiful rhythmic left lead canter. At the end of her lesson her little person leaned forward to wrap her arms around Grace's neck. At this time I still plan to ride and work with Grace but I will be open to the possibility of sharing her with a little person if the opportunity is there.


This handsome boy is Joe! He is one of Sarah's rehab horses that she owns - one that she has vowed to hold onto. He doesn't currently have someone riding him consistently and my saddle just so happens to fit him perfectly! Joe is very deep hocked and has the most lovely lope! I'm really enjoying riding him and I swear I could sit his lope all day! I'm still living day to day right now with my living situation and am not sure what my ability to show this winter will be but I would love to sit on Joe in the show ring. It would also take the pressure off Grace and I to preform at that level.

6 comments:

  1. Where is Grace? Is this a new baby? Do you have two now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that! I didn't realize that the pictures has posted last night. Explanation has been added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cool that Grace was all nice during the lesson. It's like she knew something was different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sorting things out. Good for you, good for Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace will be happy at Sarahs, and I just LOVE Joe Joe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This entry made me smile from start to finish. Change can be a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete